We may earn a commission if you click on a link, but at no extra cost to you. Read our disclosure policy for information.
Nobody wants to be among the unfortunate people that are still drinking and cooking with unsafe water in the 21st century therefore you need to know what is the best whole house water filtration system.
You risk exposing your family to waterborne diseases such as Typhoid, Cholera, and Malaria.
On top of that, there could be pesticides in the water that are notorious for causing cancers.
And that’s why you need the best whole house water filtration system as it is a great way of getting rid of impurities before they go into your home.
That means you’ll have clean, drinkable water in your entire house even in bathrooms and outdoor faucets.
However, there are many options out there.
And that’s why we prepared this list featuring the top 9 water filtration systems that will answer the question of what is the best whole house water filtration system.
How To Choose The Best Water Filter For Your Home
What Exactly Does It Filter?
All filters are not created equal.
Some get rid of impurities through a chemical process and others use a physical barrier.
Whatever the system they are all designed to filter chlorine, metals, and iron in the water.
However, some filters feature a UV light purifier while others have a water softener to spice things up a bit.
And, if your water is already purified but has a bad smell you can simply use a GAV cartridge.
Is It Certified By The NSF?
Certification of your filter by the NSF (National Sanitation Foundation) shows your screen is of the desired quality.
What if it doesn’t have it?
Well, you should proceed with caution.
Still, lacking NSF certification does not necessarily mean it is of poor quality.
Acquiring certification from a body such as the NSF is very costly, and some small and medium businesses may not afford it.
They prefer getting it from independent but trusted labs.
Does The Filter Last?
You don’t want a filter that needs to be changed every other month.
Installing a house filtration system requires a lot of expertise.
Not to mention the time required to set it up.
But the whole house filter system is likely to last longer than a countertop filter system because it doesn’t need manual operation, which may reduce its lifespan.
You can acquire water filters that can last for years or decades, depending on the quality of the water you are dealing with.
Is The Filter Worth Your Money?
Not all filters are worth your time and money
So, go for the best quality when buying a water filter.
And that includes knowing exactly what you need in a filter, in the first place.
For instance, you don’t need a chlorine filter if you are using well water.
Acquiring one means you won’t get value for your money and your health will still be at risk of bacteria and other impurities.
So, get your water tested so that you know the type of filter you’ll need.
How Do Whole House Water Filters Function?
Whole house water filters are installed on the primary water line in your home.
You also have the option to connect your sprinklers but it can be costly.
And, the general lifespan of the setup is usually 3-10 years.
How The Water Is Treated
- Connect the filter to the main water line
- Large particles, rust, dust, and sediment are pre-filtered
- Copper and zinc are used to trap chlorine, bacteria, and other metals
- Contaminants that pass the first screen are trapped in the carbon filter
- The water is softened to avoid blocking of pipes (this is for hard water)
- Water flows through an ultraviolet system that kills bacteria, and viruses
- Water gets into the house
Advantages Of Using Whole House Water Filters
- They are convenient
- They are cost-effective
- You are guaranteed of healthier baths
- Longer lasting appliances and pipes
- Environmentally friendly because it reduces the use of bottled water
- Safer drinking water because it can filter chemicals such as chlorine
Disadvantages Of Using Whole House Water Filters
- It’s expensive, and you may need to hire a plumber for installation
- It can remove fluoride, which is beneficial for your teeth
- Sometimes it is difficult to access the main water line when it’s near the street
The Best Whole House Water Filters
1. 3M Aqua-Pure Whole House Water Infiltration System
This system is, by far, the easiest setup to install compared to other options in its class.
It has a flow rate of 20 gallons per minute and can last up to a year.
It also comes with a 5-micron filter that removes sediment, dust, and dirt.
Replacement of this filter is a walk in the park and will only take you two minutes or less.
If your water has a foul smell and tastes terrible the 3M Aqua-pure filter is your best option.
It is also certified by the Water Quality Association (WQA), making it safe to use.
Advantages Of 3M Aqua-Pure Whole House Water Filters
- Low maintenance
- It improves the taste and smell of water
- The filter is easy to change and highly effective
- It has a higher flow rate
- The filtration system’s stainless steel head comes with a 25-year warranty
- It’s affordable
Disadvantages Of A 3M Aqua-Pure Whole House Water Filters
- It’s not suitable for filtering herbicides and pesticides
- You need to install a pre-filter if your water contains larger sediment particles
2. Home Master HMF2SMGCC Whole House 2-Stage Water Filter
This is an NSF certified water filter that is highly effective in eliminating chloramine that features two filtration cartridges.
It has oversized filters that can give you up to 10 gallons per minute.
The Home Master HMF2SMGCC comes with filters fully assembled and a manual with easy-to-understand instructions.
It’s also easy to install, so you can do it yourself without having to hire the services of a plumber.
Its capacity of 95,000 gallons is sufficient to last a small family for a whole year.
This filter is also very effective in removing hydrogen sulfide, which causes a foul smell in the water.
Advantages Of A Home Master HMF2SMGCC Whole House 2-Stage Water Filter
- It has a dual-gradient density filter that allows you to set the screen to anywhere between 1-20 microns so you can remove even the smallest particles
- You can connect it to another device such as a water softener or a UV sanitizer
- It comes with a proper instructions manual that guides you on how to install and operate it
- It’s affordable, meaning that even people with average or little income can acquire and maintain it with little to no problems
- It is certified by the National Sanitation Foundation (NSF), so you are assured of using a quality filter
- It enables a stable flow rate
Disadvantages Of A Home Master HMF2SMGCC Whole House 2-Stage Water Filter
- The device comes with a short filter lifespan compared to other filtration models
- Replacement filters are quite expensive
- It’s heavy, and some people may find it difficult to mount it on the wall by themselves
- The filter lacks shutoff valves and pressure release provisions
3. Aquasana 10-Year Whole House Water Filter
This is one of the best filters for well and tap water.
It consists of a UV chamber, a salt-free softener, a filter, and pre/post filters.
Besides that, it comes with a 10-year-limited-warranty.
The company can fix it or replace the entire setup for you, in case of a fault.
It can process a large amount of water of up to 1 million gallons.
It removes 96.9% of chlorine, and you’re likely to note an abrupt change in how your water tastes and smells.
Copper-zinc and activated carbon are used in this filter to remove water-soluble metals, pesticides, and bacteria.
A salt-based softener is quite expensive and sometimes adds a salty taste to your water but it’s the most efficient way to soften water in your home.
The softener also ensures that scale and corrosion don’t build up in your plumbing.
While chlorine may be an active element in removing microorganisms in water, there exist some cysts that are resistant to chlorine such as cryptosporidium and giardia.
These cysts are a health risk to you together with your family.
This filter has a UV light purifier that kills 99.9% of these cysts.
Advantages Of An Aquasana 10-year Whole House Water Filter
- This filter has a long lifespan of up to 10 years
- It exceeds NSF standards by removing 97% of chlorine
- It can filter microscopic particles
- This filter has no backflushing or draining hence reducing water wastage
- It has shutoff valves that enable you to change filters easily
- It has a high-powered UV filtration that eliminates 99.99% of viruses and bacteria
Disadvantages Of An Aquasana 10-year Whole House Water Filter
- It has a low flow rate of just 7 gallons per minute
- It’s heavy, and you may need the help of a plumber to install it
- It requires a Pex Crimper when installing it, which most people don’t own
- It can not remove heavy metals
4. Express Water Heavy Metal Whole House Water Filter
This filter is one of the most effective options when looking to filter heavy metals in your water with a 3-stage filter system.
It produces 15 gallons per minute and has a lifespan of 100,000 gallons.
The filter removes chlorine, silt, dirt, pesticides, rust, among other contaminants.
It’s easy to install because it comes with a stainless steel frame.
Each filter has three pressure release buttons.
It has a full filter set in all its 3-stage filter systems.
In stage two, the KDF filter media removes heavy metals such as aluminum, lead, and iron.
The activated carbon filter in stage three gets rid of pesticides and chemicals such as chlorine.
It also significantly improves the taste of drinking water.
Advantages Of The Express Water Heavy Metal Whole House Water Filter
- Its stainless steel frame makes it easy to install and gives it a longer lifespan
- Its filter faucets are cleaner and convenient
- Changing filters is easy, thanks to the stainless steel
- You don’t need a storage tank because this is an in-line infiltration system
Disadvantages Of The Express Water Heavy Metal Whole House Water Filter
- When the water is flowing through the second stage, you may experience a decrease in water pressure
5. iSpring WGB22B 2-Stage Whole House Water Filtration System
If your water is not highly contaminated and does not contain heavy metals then this 2-stage water filter is the best option.
This filter is less costly and removes up to 95% of impurities in your water, such as sediment, rust, herbicides, and other forms of contaminants.
In the first stage, a 5-micron sediment filter removes dirt and larger particles such as sand and silt.
The second stage has a carbon block filter that removes 90% of chlorine, industrial chemicals, and pesticides.
This stage also helps in reducing the smell of water and bad taste.
Other filter options are also available for this system, which may include a lead and iron filter and a manganese and iron filter.
This system can handle a flow rate of 15 gallons per minute.
It has a lifespan of one year with a capacity of 100,000 gallons.
Advantages Of An iSpring WGB22B 2-Stage Whole House Water Filtration System
- It has filter options for heavy metals
- It can remove sediment, VOCs, and chlorine
- It is cost-friendly, and many households can afford it
- It requires minimum or no maintenance
Disadvantages Of An iSpring WGB22B 2-Stage Whole House Water Filtration System
- It does not work for well water and is only suitable for less contaminated water
- It can be challenging to install pipework for people who have no plumbing background
- It can experience leakage issues
- It does not soften water
6. APEC Top Tier Supreme Water Filtration System
This system’s filters are rated 70,000 gallons, and they last twice as long as other filters in their class.
It has a Lead-free chrome faucet that provides pure and contamination-free water.
It filters 99% of the impurities in water, such as chlorine, lead, heavy metals, and other contaminants.
This system has a 5-stage pre-filter system.
In the first stage, dust, rust, and large particles are removed.
VOCs, water odor, bad tastes, and other chemicals in water are removed in the second and third stages.
The fourth stage contains a high-quality reverse osmosis membrane that filters 99% of contaminants such as viruses, bacteria, and chromium.
The 5th and final stage filters any remaining taste from the tank by use of a Total.
Contamination Removal Filter (TCR).
Advantages Of An APEC Top Tier Supreme Water Filtration System
- It has the best filter system since water is filtered five times before it reaches appliances or water heaters
- Its chrome faucets are 100% Lead-free that ensures that the water is pure
- Its filters are durable
Disadvantages Of An APEC Top Tier Supreme Water Filtration System
- Its carbon filters need frequent replacement
7. Reverse Osmosis Revolution Whole House 3-Stage Water Filtration System
This is one of the best filters and also one of the most affordable options.
Sand, dust, silt, and rust are removed in the first stage through a 5-micron filter.
In the second stage, chlorine, bad smells, colors, and other contaminants are removed.
A carbon block filter is used to remove chlorine, insecticides, and VOCs that were not filtered in stage 2.
The filter has a flow rate of 10 gallons per minute.
Advantages Of A Reverse Osmosis Revolution Whole House 3-Stage Water Filtration System
- It removes 95-99% of TDS (Total Dissolved Solids) and chlorine taste
- It gives you clean and pure water for less which saves you money
- Its 3-stage design makes sure it removes most of the impurities in water assuring you of a risk-free and healthier life
- It comes with spare filters from the manufacturer and you can replace the original ones when they become faulty
Disadvantages Of A Reverse Osmosis Revolution Whole House 3-Stage Water Filtration System
- The water pressure drops significantly after installation
- It cannot filter minute chemical elements like fluorine
- Short lifespan because you need to replace the filter every three months
- Valves are susceptible to leaking
8. DuPont WFPF13003B Universal Whole House Filter
It has a 15,000-gallon capacity and a flow rate of 5 gallons per minute.
Even though this filter’s flow rate is below average it doesn’t drop the water pressure in the system.
It can be used alongside a UV water purifier for better removal of bacteria, viruses, and other microorganisms.
You can install it by yourself because it comes with an easy-to-understand manual and you don’t necessarily need the services of a plumber.
Its brand value is guaranteed by a three-year warranty from the manufacturer so you don’t have anything to worry about.
Advantages Of A DuPont WFPF13003B Universal Whole House Filter
- It is certified by the NSF
- It comes with a filter wrench, meaning you can change the filters yourself without involving a plumber
- It Has a high gallon capacity of up to 15,000 gallons
- It supports a UV purifier which is very useful in eliminating bacteria and other minute organisms
- High-quality water with great taste
- It contains a 3-year warranty from the manufacturer
- It’s easy to install so you don’t need to hire a plumber
- It’s pocket-friendly and even low-income earners can afford it
Disadvantages Of A DuPont WFPF13003B Universal Whole House Filter
- Its plastic thread may leak if not handled properly
9. iSpring WGB32B 3-Stage Whole House Water Filtration System
If you are health-conscious, this is the best water filtration for you.
It is capable of removing most of the contaminants in water and also can retain the essential minerals needed by the body such as magnesium and calcium.
In the first stage, large particles such as sand and silt are removed giving the other filters a longer lifespan.
A carbon block filter helps in removing Volatile organic compounds (VOCs) and chemicals such as chlorine in the second stage.
Any impurities or contaminants that passed the second stage are removed in the third and final stage.
It can sufficiently supply a family of four with cleansed water for a whole year with its capacity of 100,000 gallons.
Advantages Of An iSpring WGB32B 3-Stage Whole House Water Filtration System
- It comes along with a DIY installation and maintenance manual which is simple to understand
- It maintains healthy minerals in the water which are essential in your body
- It has a long filter life
- Fit for well and city water
- It can remove iron and lead
Disadvantages Of Ann iSpring WGB32B 3-Stage Whole House Water Filtration System
- It doesn’t have a water softener
- It is more expensive compared to other filtration systems of its type
We hope we’ve answered the question of what is the best whole house water filtration system.
A high-quality filter is a must-have accessory and it will give the best results when it comes to water purification.
A filter doesn’t have to be certified by the NSF to be effective you should buy one that is certified by a recognized lab so that you don’t compromise the quality of your water and your health for that matter.
It’s advisable to have your water tested so that you can know the right and appropriate filter to buy for your home.
If you can’t understand the DIY manual of the filtration system, it’s advisable to consult your manufacturer or hire a plumber for professional services.
Always ensure you maintain or replace the filters on time to avoid damaging your appliances and plumbing.
Also, you might want to do thorough research before acquiring a whole house water filter, that’s because they are pretty expensive and making the wrong choice could haunt you for years.