We may earn a commission if you click on a link, but at no extra cost to you. Read our disclosure policy for information.
If you’re looking for the best water filters in the USA, then here is a list that will help you get the best water filter made in USA.
As years are passing by, the quality of the US water supply is dropping day by day with an increased amount of benzene, sulfur, hormones, and pharma wastes.
The contaminants are not restricted to the above substances only, the taste due to excessive chlorine treatment is getting worse.
Even in certain areas, the water is contaminated due to the presence of lead and mercury which are among the most dangerous water contaminants, causing renal and neural damages respectively.
Hence, with time, quality filters have arrived in the market to provide healthy drinking water to everyone living within the States but along with that, there is also a large number of filters that are completely useless concerning purification abilities.
We have decided to make your work a little easier and thus, we are listing the top ten water filters made in USA in the market of various types which will suit your preference and budget.
We have tried to list the products in decreasing order of overall features and efficiency.
- 1. iSpring RCC7 5-Stage RO Drinking Filtration System
- 2. Home Master TMAFC-ERP Reverse Osmosis Water Filter
- 3. APEC 5-Stage ROES-50 Ultra Safe RO Water Filter
- 4. Brita Stream Rapids 10-Cup Pitcher
- 5. Brita Ultra Max Filtering Dispenser
- 6. Brita 10-Cup Everyday Pitcher
- 7. APEX 5-Stage Alkaline Filtration System
- 8. PUR DS1800Z Classic Dispenser
- 9. PUR 11-Cup Ultimate Pitcher
- 10. Brita Tap Water Filter
- Why Do We Need A Water Filter?
- What Kind Of Filter Do You Need?
- Final Thoughts
For efficient filtering and purification process, the filter is equipped with important parts which have three pre-filters which are, PP sediment, carbon KDF and carbon block which are easy to replace but very cost-effective.
The next part consists of a reverse osmosis filter which removes heavier contaminants.
Finally, the water passes through a fine carbon filter to strain the further suspended particles and ensures to deliver clean water.
It has a slow yet decent flow rate to provide 75 gallons of water per day but that’s quite enough even for a big family.
If you are looking for some more permanent solution at your home this is the best solution but keep in mind that there must be adequate space under the sink to house it and to ensure proper water inlet into the filter.
Pros & Benefits:
- It has a very low noise production hence good for quieter environments
- Very easy to install that you don’t need a technician
- It requires low maintenance and is very pocket friendly
- Ability to produce a huge volume of water per day
- Very reliable filtration process involving five stages hence, good for health
This is one of the best in business most efficient yet expensive water filters made in USA in the list with seven stages of purification processes included to ensure very healthy drinking water.
It can also add important minerals necessary for our body in the water like calcium and magnesium which sometimes lack in the supply lines in the US.
Even though the installation cost is pretty expensive(which isn’t surprising), the maintenance cost is pretty low due to the filter’s high longevity.
The filter is easier to install and a more long-lasting solution for your household where you don’t need to keep a prying eye on the filter’s expiration or for the time to replace.
Pros & Benefits:
- Very long-lasting filters can work for several months due to high longevity
- Adds important minerals vital for our body like Calcium
- Produces a large volume of water per day which is 75 gallons per day
- Wastewater production is not low but balanced, the ratio is 1:1 with that of freshwater
- Very easy to install that you can do it yourself with any upfront cost for a technician
This is too a five-stage under sink filter which removes contaminants pretty efficiently and is almost quite similar to iSpring RCC7.
The filter comes with features like reverse osmosis and quality dual carbon block where the carbon block works similarly as activated charcoal for adsorption of certain particles.
It filters around 50 gallons per day which is not as much as the other under sink filters but it is enough for medium size family.
A major drawback of the filter is that it produces a significant amount of wastewater(not the ideal 1:1 ratio) which can be a major drawback concerning water conservation norms or ethics.
Most Amazon buyers are pretty satisfied with the product.
Pros & Benefits:
- The filter is pretty safe because it’s the Food and Drug Administration(FDA) certified
- You can get fresh water completely lead free for healthy drinking
- It’s completely water leakage-free sealed which means no leakage
- Pretty efficient purification with five stages
This elegant looking, sleek and compact pitcher is very handy and very mobile for you to take it to your picnics or campings.
The pitcher has a cylindrical stream filter attached near the pour spout which may hinder the flow rate of water during pouring when the water level is low but it’s quite easier to refill the pitcher anytime.
The filter is made according to NFSI/ANSI 42 and with 53 health standards which all ensure a pretty safety guideline for you and your family.
However, the filter inside the pitcher doesn’t have pretty impressive longevity and hence, requires replacement after every two months.
Amazon users, even though of its low service time, are satisfied with the product since it’s quite cost-effective and the features justify the money.
Pros & Benefits:
- The water filtration rate is very fast hence you can pour water while filtration is still going on
- Very compact size to carry everywhere
- Led Indicators to remind the user that replacement is required
- The filter is pretty safe and made with the US safety ensuring standards
The filter is 14.5 inches dispenser which serves 18 cups or 1.13 gallons of water at a time with dimensions of (LxWxH) – 5.1 x 14 x 9.6 inches and with weight just three pounds.
Even though it’s big, it still fits into any standard fridge, countertops, and shelves for it’s modern, narrow, and space-efficient design.
The Bisphenol A(BPA)- free filter is certified by WQA or Water Quality Association to reduce 99% lead-free water along with cadmium, asbestos, benzene, and even more dangerous elements mercury to ensure the purest form of drinking water it can achieve in its domain.
The filtration unit inside the dispenser is better than Brita Stream Rapids 10-Cup Pitcher because it lasts 6 months and comes with a replacement indicator to let the user know that change is required.
However, Amazon ratings claim the filter works slow after some time due to probable sediment accumulation in the filter’s adsorptive parts.
Pros & Benefits:
- Very easy mechanism with the pour spigot that ensures fast flow even during the filtration process
- Elegant and cool design to place anywhere even in any standard fridge or fridge shelf
- Better filtration unit in the dispenser than most dispenser filters
- More longevity of the filter lasting up to 6 months unlike most with 2 months
Among all these heavy-duty filters, we love this filter for its compact size and it’s filtration features.
The Bisphenol A(BPA)filter reduces chlorine taste and odor along with the removal of copper, mercury and cadmium impurities that are mostly found in US-supplied tap water that causes various water-borne diseases in the human body.
The pitcher size is not exactly good but nearly enough for a big family but it’s pouring speed when the water level is low might be an issue for few, however, we can always replace pitchers up to brim very easily.
The replacement of the filter in the pitcher is easy and comes with a filter indicator letting the user know what’s the status of the filter avoiding users to constantly worry about the replacement date.
However, the filter needs to be changed after every two months or upon filtration of 40 gallons.
Pros & Benefits:
- Very good size to supply a big family in a day anywhere even on a jolly good road trip
- The quality of the filter is good which purifies most harmful elements from the water
- An easy replacement that warns the user from time to time with its filter indicator
- Reduces waste because the Brita filter can replace 300 standard 16-ounce standard water bottles in the market(accounts for 136 liters (approx)), which relieves you from generating a huge pile of plastic waste
This is a countertop water filter made in USA that connects to any regular faucet in the kitchen.
This alkaline filter looks elegant and sleek in design which indeed looks good in the kitchen.
As mentioned it’s an alkaline filter, which means it adds necessary minerals into the water like calcium, magnesium and potassium while balancing the pH level of the water to make it less acidic.
Apart from those mentions, it’s capable to even remove traces of radon, Cryptosporidium, and Giardia cysts, which contribute to water-borne illnesses.
The filter is carefully made keeping in mind the National Science Foundation or NSF and Food and Drug Administration or FDA guidelines.
It’s total water filtration capability or longevity is 750 gallons of water which are nearly equal to seven to eight months for a big family.
Replacement is quite expensive but its point of appreciation is for its health benefits and in-depth water purification of most tap water supply contaminants.
Pros & Benefits:
- Adds very crucial minerals in the water which are important for our body
- Efficient detoxification with pH level balancing to make the water less acidic
- Very elegant looks and transparent design that enables you to see inside the filter
- Longevity is high and can work for eight months minimum providing clean and delicious water
- The package contains all the necessary hardware and easy installation with do-it-yourself guidelines
As they named it classic, the dispenser indeed is a classic choice for many with a combination of transparent and blue colored plastic in the main body.
It provides clean water to fill 18 cups and is enough for a big family(even good for The Simpsons and The Griffins) for a single day.
The dispenser can be used as a pitcher because it can pour water even while filtering as most pitchers can.
The design is quite impressive with a sleek design and can fit in any fridge shelf.
The handles are quite appreciable and you can have a good grip with them so that you can carry it anywhere and easily pour water even though it isn’t necessary since it has a tap attached.
It has a remarkable upgraded model called the Ultimate model which can purify water from lead contamination.
However, like most pitchers, it requires replacement every two months.
Amazon users like this product for its narrow design, unique filtration capabilities, and leak-proof container.
Pros & Benefits:
- Very user-friendly design with a narrow body and handles
- Fast filtration process to enable you to pour water even when the filtration process is going on
- Very efficient lead filtration that is rare in most dispenser filters
- A leakproof body so carries them without fear of spill and spoiling your favorite mat
It’s one of the most affordable pitcher filters in the list even though it’s no less efficient in purification and has a medium rating on Amazon.
The filter is best in filtering chemicals like chlorine, heavy metals, biowastes and even pharma substances which are presently very common in the US.
The filter also can remove 99% of lead contaminants which is certified from the Water Quality Association or WQA.
However, the filtration process is pretty slow taking up to half an hour to fill that’s mostly because of the ion exchange and activated carbon treatments.
This filter has one drawback which is a leakage problem from the pitcher even if it holds a very small amount of water.
Amazon users liked the user-friendly handle and it’s designed though few showed concerns on its slow filtration and the limited ability to provide 11 cups only at a single time.
Pros & Benefits:
- One of those rare pitchers with lead filtration abilities
- LED filter status reminding you to change the filter
- Very compact that you can carry on a road trip
- User-friendly design with a comfortable handle to have a more firm grip
This a faucet attachment filter for people who are skeptical about keeping the filter under the sink because it’s more visible in this case.
The filter removes 60 contaminants which are quite less than under sink filters but can successfully remove lead chlorine, benzene, and other particles.
This is the filter that removes most of the chlorine than any other filter in the filter.
However, it isn’t that effective from an overall 360 degrees perspective of purifying the water.
This is more useful for people who use the tap water full of sulfates for household works daily to washcloths or cleaning utensils.
The filter most like the others in the list is Bisphenol-A free which means it is quite safe from plastic contamination.
It requires replacement of the filter after every four months or 100 gallons which isn’t very long like under sink filters but it has indicators to let you know when you need to change.
Amazon users have mixed reviews on the product with some giving positive remarks to be cost-effective, easy installation, and user-friendly usage.
The negative remarks claim the product to be inefficient in purifying other impurities other than chlorine.
Pros & Benefits:
- Very pocket-friendly filter yet no compromise with quality
- Easy installation with a faucet which easy mechanisms and do-it-yourself guidelines
- LED indicator by which you will know the status of your filter
- The filter even though it has slightly low longevity it comes with a very easy replacement system
Why Do We Need A Water Filter?
Even though the US water supply is regulated by Environmental Protection Agency or EPA, it doesn’t practically ensure cent percent pure water due to the presence of substances like chlorine, asbestos, copper, cadmium, hormones, and pharmaceutical wastes.
Due to all of these contaminations, the Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDP) recommends US citizens to have their private wells tested from State Certified Labs.
And if they are using the public supply system then the EPA will provide an annual report to let one know about the quality of water they are being billed for.
Research shows that per year there are approximately 32 million cases of acute gastrointestinal illness (AGI) from drinking public supplied water directly but this estimate doesn’t include the other borne diseases and the estimate is restricted to the public supply only.
This gives us a clear picture of the total number of water-borne diseases in the US per year which is much higher than 32 million considering all the sources of the water and all the diseases caused by those water contaminations.
Some of the rest of the common health issues caused by contaminated water are respiratory illness (for example, coughing, difficulty breathing, or pneumonia), eye, ear, or skin infections (for example, Swimmer’s Ear or Hot Tub Rash) and wound infections when they come in contact with a such a polluted water.
It becomes a mandatory necessity for all citizens to purify their domestic water before usage or consumption to prevent any health issues and to get odorless water free from most of the contaminations at least.
Hence, based on your preference, need and usage, you must consider installing or keeping a filter of your required type at your home or in your kitchen to ensure the safety of you and your loved ones of your family?
What Kind Of Filter Do You Need?
Filters come in all forms starting from under sink filters, countertop filters, pitcher filters, dispensers, and faucet top filters(types discussed here).
Also, the type of water filter made in USA depends on the features it has which includes reverse osmosis, activated carbon, PP sediments, pH controller, and so on.
Sink filters are more likely to be used in the kitchens where there is enough space beneath the sink and you prefer to keep those big 5 stages 7 stages filters hidden from guest eyes (well they ain’t ugly but not impressively fancy designed too).
Apart from that, under-sink filters are a must for you if your supply water is dangerously contaminated but they are costly.
Countertop filters look good in the kitchen but they are mostly used for detoxifying water by balancing the pH of more acidic waters.
Pitcher filters are the best choice if you are looking for a hassle-free solution and a more mobile form of water filtration that enables you to carry your pure water on trips.
Pitcher filters are very cost-effective and user friendly.
Dispensers are yet a cost-effective choice too but their filtration abilities are somewhat better than pitchers and supplies more water than an average pitcher does.
And finally, the faucet top filters have a low maintenance system but are not that effective of purifying water.
However, faucet top filters are quite efficient for sulfur and chlorine contaminated waters and provide water purified directly from the tap itself.
We are almost end of the water filter made in USA journey but there are few things that you must keep in mind regarding the water filters.
There has been no such water filter made in USA yet invented to remove every single element of contaminations from a water source that can proudly ensure us of a cent percent safety in terms of drinking water.
It’s needless to say that all US government authorities and agencies cannot ensure us( not even feasible technically) to provide completely safe water that needs no external household filtration.
You need to consider every above-mentioned factor while buying the right water filter made in USA for your use.
Now, we hope you can choose the type of filter you need for your family based on your preferences and conditions.
Thus, let’s take the next step towards cleaner water for us.